The student news site of Bishop Manogue Catholic High School

Miner Detail

Promising Miner football season

Josh Rolling makes a run for it, fighting back against the Reed Raiders on September 22. (Photo courtesy of the Reno Gazette-Journal)

Kalle Bailey, Reporter

This year the Manogue football team is led by five team captains whose main responsibilities include being role models, giving positive reinforcement and demonstrating good decision making. Lincoln Hauck, Carter Wilkerson, Ryan Miller, Angelo Revigilo, and Gilberto Aguilera are well-equipped to handle this task and gave an inside look at some of their goals and expectations this year.

The Manogue football team goes head-to-head on September 22, 2017. (Photo courtesy of Jackie Cavilia and the Bishop Manogue yearbook staff)

The 2017 season is definitely turning out to be exciting for the Manogue football team. Last season, the Miners were a relatively “young” team with mainly sophomores; this year these returning players (now juniors and seniors) will be able to build on their past experiences. In fact, “After last year we really bonded together,” explains Wilkerson, “and the chemistry is there for sure; it’s all going fantastic[ally].” In addition, Miller believes that “everybody is super close and everybody knows each other; we hangout all the time.” The positive leadership of these excited team captains combined with their talented new coach, Ernie Howren, definitely points to a successful Miner season. It is a match “made in football heaven!”

The Miners put up a fight against the Reed Raiders. (Photo courtesy of Jackie Cavilia and the Bishop Manogue yearbook staff)

With the positive challenges of gaining a new coach, the team wants to take it one step at a time and play their very best. The players are looking forward to every game but especially their rivals, the Damonte Ranch Mustangs and the McQueen Lancers, in the playoffs. Their goals as a team are, according to Reviglio, “win the North and go to state.” With their great skill and hard work, we know they will prevail!