Miner Detail

Spirit of Starbucks

2018+Starbucks+Holiday+Cups.+Courtesy+of+the+Starbucks+Corporation+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Spirit of Starbucks

2018 Starbucks Holiday Cups. Courtesy of the Starbucks Corporation

Froylan Palacio, Staff Reporter

Iced Peppermint Mocha. Courtesy of Starbucks

The holiday season is here, which means Starbucks has to offer their unique drinks that fill many with joy. With countless seasonal drinks available at the store it can range from hot lattes to cold frapps, but what are flavors that take over the Starbucks menu? I did a review on four drinks based off a poll and the winners were the Salted Caramel Mocha Crème Frappuccino®, Peppermint White Hot Chocolate, Caramel Brulée Latte, Iced Peppermint Mocha. They all had their distinct taste, smell, texture and presentation and the best treat of all was that I had the chance to drink coffee after coffee. I began with the Peppermint White Hot Chocolate drink, the presentation came with their signature holiday coffee cups. I opened the lid and what I smelt strongly was minty chocolate with a touch of whipping cream and the heat melted the ingredients together. The taste was just this creamy hot chocolate with Peppermint and when you drank it you would feel the freshness of the mint along with the hot drink. The texture was of a thick shake as the layer of cream was taking over the top and the little chocolates added more of syrup to the drink.

Starbucks Corporation
Caramel Brulée Latte. Courtesy of Starbucks.

To continue, the second drink I reviewed was the Iced Peppermint Mocha, a cold drink which came in a clear plastic cup with ice and whipping cream with chocolate swirls on top. The smell was of intense mocha and the peppermint is literally a part of the coffee, there was no separation of any sort. When I tasted the drink it was such a powerful combo because it was iced and mint which made it into some sort of frosty. I purchased the Caramel Brulee latte which was also a hot coffee but now it had a different topping. The topping included whipping cream with caramel bits which smelled like a caramel candy. The taste was weird at first because caramel is made for syrup and to finally drink caramel was amazing. The last coffee that I had a chance to review was the Salted Caramel Mocha Crème Frappuccino®, a cold mocha. Mocha is such a big ingredient at Starbucks that they have created syrup to allow it to continue to be in their drinks. The drink was of a dark mixture, I believed it was a chocolate shake when it first arrived but the thing that was present was a spreading of caramel sauce all over the whipping cream. The smell was very different because it had salt and and sugar on top, the coffee was also toffee. When I tasted it was such a chunky mocha as the straw would not go to the bottom and it had the texture of cold peanut butter.

All four drinks after tasting them were unforgettable as coffee has never had so much variety. The drinks that I would buy again would be the Caramel Brulee latte and the Peppermint White Hot Chocolate because they can remind a person of a cozy day at home. My final recommendation would be the Caramel Brulee latte because it is offered in decaf as well and it had such a great taste. I invite all to visit a local Starbucks this season to try all of their seasonal drinks, maybe you too can find your all time favorite. Happy Holidays!

Froylan Palacio, Staff Reporter

This is Froylan's first year on the journalism staff and his junior year at Manogue.  He runs track and field and his favorite event is the 200m sprint. ...