Swim and Dive 2019

Sam DeRuse and Emilee Bryan smile at a swim meet at Carson Aquatic Center. Photo courtesy of the Bishop Manogue yearbook staff.

Kalle Bailey, Reporter

Despite having a smaller roster this season and a different coaching staff, the Swim and Dive team had a successful season and had a strong presence at the Northern Nevada Regional Championship.  On the girls’ team, freshman Elena Aramini placed seventh in the 100 and 200 Freestyle and 8th in the 400 Freestyle Relay. Mallory Hart placed 6th in the 100 Fly and 8th in the 400 Freestyle Relay.  Olivia Hines and senior Gianna Zaccheo placed 8th in the 400 Free Relay. On the boys’ team, junior David McLean placed 6th in the 100 Fly and 7th in the 100 Backstroke, while senior Sam DeRuse placed 8th in the 100 Backstroke.  Team captain Sam DeRuse explains that, in addition to making appearances at a few State Championships, the Swim and Dive Team at Manogue has been his favorite experience at Manogue because he has “been able to connect with people who [he] has never really talked to before.”  DeRuse believes that “through swimming, I have been able to grow as a leader by being an example for the less experience swimmers and a friend to those who are new to this school.” Swimming is a sport that requires tremendous discipline, and it has taught him “not only be task oriented, but to be a steward of my time balancing 25+ hours of pool time and a rigorous academic schedule.”  The Swim and Dive team has a strong underclassmen group that will prove helpful in seasons to come.