Peyton Dixon Commits to Fresno State

Peyton Dixon continues to Fresno State. Photo courtesy of Nevada Sports Network.

Eleanor Salkoff, Editor-in-Chief

Peyton Dixon, running back for the Bishop Manogue varsity football team, will be heading to Fresno State University this summer to begin practicing for his upcoming season in the fall.  Dixon holds state records: he became the first player in Nevada history to rush for 3,000 yards in a season, finishing the season with 3,136 yards over 14 games (the fourth most in the nation) and scored 45 rushing touchdowns, tied for the second most in state history.  After defeating the Damonte Ranch Mustangs in the regional championships with a score of 49-48, a game that ranks as one of Dixon’s “favorite high school football memories,” he went on to dominate Arbor View with 298 yards, 196 against Desert Pines and 192 against Bishop Gorman, all Vegas-based teams. Dixon’s 5,229 career rushing yards rank fifth in state history, the first among Northern 4A players. His 74 rushing touchdowns are tied for third in state history.

Dixon was recruited by UC Davis; University of Nevada, Reno; University of Nevada, Las Vegas; Portland State University; University of Wyoming; University of Montana; University of Northern Colorado; Idaho State University; and Northern Arizona University.  Dixon says he ultimately decided to become a Fresno State Bulldog because “they were a perfect all-around fit for me. They were genuine during the recruiting process, and they know how to utilize everyone on the team.” Dixon is most looking forward to “game days” at Fresno State, because, he explains, “the game day atmosphere is unreal, and the support that the community gives the football players is great.”  He will be heading to Fresno in June to begin practicing with the team, and explains the only thing he is nervous about is “the valley heat.”

Dixon also runs track and holds the school record for the 100-meter sprint with a time of 10.82 seconds, set in the spring in 2018.  He was on the fastest 4×200 relay that Manogue has ever run, in 2017 achieving a time of 1:29.12. He was also the fastest 4×100 relay that Manogue has ever run, in 2017 achieving a time of 42.78.  He has also played varsity basketball for the Miners. After spending 12 years playing football, Dixon will remember “having fun with his teammates in the locker room,” because “they’re an interesting and fun group of guys.”  His coach, Jimmy Scholl, has instilled in him to “be a man on and off the field,” a token of advice Dixon will take with him from Reno to Fresno and throughout his career, in which he hopes to pursue business because “it is applicable in many different fields.”

Dixon understands the highs and lows that accompany the process of college recruitment, and encourages student-athletes at Manogue, in the Class of 2020 and beyond, who aspire to become Division 1 collegiate football players to “always put yourself out there, don’t be afraid to be rejected, and keep grinding no matter what.”  Dixon is inspired by former NFL player Colin Kaepernick for “standing up for what he believes in,” and Dixon hopes to one day play professionally. He is thrilled to become a Bulldog next year and is excited to join his teammates who are “all of a similar mindset and work ethic, and compete at a high level.” Congratulations Peyton, and good luck in Fresno!