Bishop Manogue’s Boys Varsity Basketball Dominates with 72-35 Win Against Reed High School

Lillian Ferrell, Staff Writer

On February 8, 2023, Bishop Manogue’s boys basketball team crushed their competition with their aggressive defense and sharp offense, taking home a 72-35 win against Reed High School. The crowd was teeming with excitement as Miner fans cheered for the team, taking one basket after another with ease. The game took place at Reed High School at 7 p.m. on Tuesday night, and the Manogue student body did not disappoint, showing out with full energy at the last of the games before playoffs for the season.

The first quarter of the game demonstrated the strength of Manogue’s team, foreshadowing the exciting win to come. With a minute left in the first quarter, the Miners were up 14 to 7 with only one foul for the team. They entered the second quarter with a promising 16 to 7 lead that only improved with the cheering from parents and students in the stands. Highlights from the first half of the game included a strong defense with Carson Jensen scoring a few points for the team with assists from Jordan Morency. The Miners remained consistent in stealing possession of the ball from Reed throughout the entire quarter, and remained successful in multiple three point shots for the team. Within the first few minutes of the second quarter, Coach Babbitt called a timeout to reconvene with the team. This was followed by the Raiders getting their first team foul six minutes into the second quarter, and two three point shots made by Manogue junior Chase Debruin. Another timeout was called during the second quarter with the Miners up 31 to 9, and four minutes left on the clock. When the game reconvened, Reed had a change for two free throws with #33 on their team making both shots – a success that took the score to 11-31. Manogue responded with a three pointer made by Isaiah Garcia, and two consecutive two pointers made by Dom Zaccheo before the half closed. With 14 seconds left on the clock, Garcia closed the quarter with an exciting two point shot despite Reed making a final three point shot to gain leverage. The Miners entered the second half of the game with a lead of 42-17.

Reed began the second half of the game with two successful free throws after a foul called on senior Carson Jensen. Throughout the half, Manogue received multiple penalties, but persevered in successfully gaining possession on multiple occasions after Reed was given a free throw advantage. Logan Howren had strong defense, keeping Reed from scoring despite their best efforts. The crowd roared with excitement after Carson Jensen made a three point shot with the help of Jordan Morency bringing the ball down to the other side of the court. Reed’s player #33 had some strong shots that were countered by Howren’s two point shots during the quarter. Reed struggled to make a comeback, making minimal shots throughout the third and fourth quarters. Miner player Isaiah Garcia consistently had a strong game with numerous two pointers that carried Manogue to a 23-51 lead with four minutes on the clock. Reed still wasn’t able to combat the Miners who continually stole possession of the ball to the end of the game. The Raiders were able to make two final free throws to close the game with a score of 35-72 with a win for Manogue.

The Miners are scheduled to head into the quarter final game next Tuesday, February 14th at 6:30 at Bishop Manogue. They are currently ranked #3 in the league, and their success last night proved promising for their anticipated success in the playoff games beginning next week. Tickets for the games are available on NIAA’s website, and we hope to see much support from the Manogue student body as the Miner boys’ basketball team brings home more success for Bishop Manogue. Manogue student Millie Marincic comments on the promise ahead for the team, emulating the school spirit that the student body has for their players, “I hope the team does very well. Go Miners!”